Wednesday 23 July 2014

Day 1 Tokyo (Shibuya) and the journey

Well we made it to Tokyo. It was a long flight of nearly 12 hours then an hour and a half on a coach (limo bus) to the hotel in Shinjuku. 

What can I say, we travelled for nearly 24 hours, so we were exhausted by the time we got here. After a little battle to check in early we got to our room and a well deserved shower and rest. 

I will add some pictures tomorrow when I connect up my camera. After a rest we decided to head to Shibuya which is a busy district in Tokyo, though we had to work out and deal with Shinjuku station first in the rush hour! 

This was mildly terrifying in all honesty, people everywhere all at high speed and I even managed to have a blind man crash into me. Still we made it on to the train and got to Shibuya without problem. 

We experienced the world's busiest crossing too at Shibuya. This place is like a sensory overload. We happened upon a teppen yaki style restaurant where you cook your own dish on a hot plate. It was great fun and though I read the instructions wrong the waiter was happy to help me out. The food was simply delicious and I think it's cool that I got to to cook my first Japanese meal myself. This was washed down with some ice cold beers and really it did the trick alright. 

Then we had a wander around. There is just so much going on with people everywhere, music in the streets, everything flashes and well, it's almost a sensory overload. 

Then we walked through  gaming place where you play to win ball bearings. The din was incredible and there were people of all ages playing these games. It's just so different from what we know and that in itself makes it an unforgettable experience. 

Pictures once I've had a night's sleep! 

We've stopped in an English Pub as I write this and are drinking Belgian beers. It's pricey though so we won't do this too often. The heat is fairly stiffling at 33C and humidity to match, but thankfully everywhere is air conditioned, so it's bearable in that respect. 

More beer and a sleep! 

2 comments:

  1. Pachino? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's it. Such a din they have two sets of doors so you can't hear it on the street!

    ReplyDelete