Wednesday 23 July 2014

Day 1 Shinjuku & Shibuya in pictures

Good morning! 

I write here at 0546hrs most likely due to some lingering jet lag. But such things can't be helped. 

Thinking about yesterdays antics and the craziness of our first day and the mild terror of the Shinjuku station experience followed by an evening in Shibuya, it seems that whilst things are out of the ordinary here (definitely a good thing) they are also quite ordered. Despite being one of likely thousands in the middle of Shibuya crossing, everyone shuffles along, there is no issue or people trying to make a last minute dash on the crossing. 

No, everyone waits. Also I liked the fare adjustment machines in Shibuya, I really couldn't expect Brits to be so honest about such things, so there is a definite difference in culture. 

It does seem to be a polite society and we noticed that all we encountered were friendly and those who could talk some English would tend to engage in conversation, one guy working in a bar was telling us all about his trip to London and Scotland which seemed to centre on drinking more than anything else. 

Talking of which it does seem that if Shibuya is typical of Japan but there was an abundance of drunken Japanese staggering around after 9pm. Maybe it's a case of work hard, play hard? 

So, onto some pictures which really were only last night as we slept most of the afternoon yesterday. 

Here's Mark on the train from Shinjuku to Shibuya. The humidity was intense with temperatures of 33C. It did cool a little later on, but not by much and there was no need for a cardy which I had in my bag. 

My first attempt at Japanese cooking Teppen Yaki style. This is where you are seated with a hot plate in front of you, you choose your meal then simply cook it yourself. I did okay with the instructions helpfully in English but the waiter saved me when I poured the special sauce straight onto the hot plate which was never going to work! 


This is basically an omelette with salad and bacon like strips incorporated, then add another egg and with noodles cooked in soy sauce inbetween topped with Okonomiyaki sauce What did it taste like? It was simply delicious. Wonderful! I reckon I can get used to eating Japanese food for the next two weeks, what an experience. 


Mark had heard about frozen beer and yes that Mr Whippy style topping is frozen beer! The waiter gave Mark a sample to try just to check he liked it. He did! I decided to go one further looking at the options and went for a frozen beer and tomato juice as you do! I reckon it's an aqquired taste! Safe to say I'll pass on the tomato juice next time! Other options were cassis and pineaple juice. 


The picture above is of the famous Shibuya crossing. This is apparently one of the busiest crossings in the world. I think what makes it looks so crazy is that as well as the crossings in the usual place, there is also a diagonal crossing in the middle. Whilst it looks crazy, using it is anything but. Nobody tries to cross on a red light, there are countdown bars to when it goes green and you just flow along with the other pedestrians when you're on it. No problem at all. 


We happened upon an English style pub serving European beers of mostly Irish and Belgian varieties. Whilst it was refreshing for Mark to have a Duvel and I enjoyed a Leffe Blonde, it was perhaps refreshingly expensive so I think we'll stick with Japanese beer which is excellent. 

Mark at Shibuya station awaiting the train back to Shinjuku. We thought it'd be quiet at 11pm, but I suppose this is the equivalent of Leicester Square, so there were people everwhere but they were moving a little more slowly than early, doubtless due to having a drink or two. 



The weather was hot and humid and after all that beer we needed a lighter refreshment. This drinks machine with it's giant touch screen was just the ticket. You simply touch the drink you want, pay your money and out it comes. 


Shinjuku station looking a bit more quiet than it was earlier in the evening. 


EDIT: Added a few more pics. Really sorry it's a bit blurred, but here are the cooking instructions for my Okonomiyaki Soba Modern that I cooked on the grill. 


My food cooking, whilst I wash down an ice cold beer. :) 


Mark looking happy. Good times! :)



Shibuya at night. 






No comments:

Post a Comment